Happy Saturday Everyone!
Valentine’s Day is literally around the corner, well actually it’s tomorrow. Since the pandemic everything is so different and it’s nearly impossible to be around all the ones you love. So if you can’t be near the ones you treasure the most, bake some of your favorite decadent and delicious treats. Jennifer and I thought about our favorite desserts and decided to bake them for the blog with a Valentine’s Day twist.
One of my all time favorite desserts is Strawberry Short Cake, it’s the perfect treat with the homemade pound cake, whipped cream, and topped with fresh strawberries. It’s the type of dessert that just gets better and better with each bite. Jennifer absolutely loves chocolate chip cookies with M & Ms, they’re her favorite. So we decided to make everything heart- shaped for Valentine’s Day. We knew that we also wanted to make chocolate covered strawberries, because who doesn’t love those??? Grace, loves any and everything that’s sweet so she was happy with all of our yummy ideas.
So let’s get started we have a great deal of desserts to make, before we can get baking we need a list of ingredients.
Ingredients for the Pound Cake Recipe
-2 sticks of unsalted butter
-1/2 cup of shortening
-3 cups of granulated sugar
-3cups of All-Purpose flour
-1/2 Teaspoon of baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1 cup of whole milk
-1 teaspoon of vanilla flavor
Ingredients for Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookies
-1 stick of unsalted room temperature butter (1 cup)
-1/2 cup of brown sugar, (1/4 cup of light and 1/4 cup of dark packed together)
-1 large egg
-1/4 cup of granulated sugar
-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
-1/4 cup of vanilla pudding mix
-1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon of salt
-3/4 cup of M &M’s, plus more for adding to dough (optional)
-1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for adding to dough (optional)
Ingredients for Chocolate Covered Strawberries
-A bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Valentine’s Day Strawberry Shortcake
First, I begin by making a homemade pound cake for the Valentine’s Day short cake. I will be using my tried and true pound cake recipe which can found here. Even though I’m making this strawberry shortcake a double layer cake, you can use the same recipe.
Now, I’m going to pour my cake mix into my floured pan and bake this cake until it’s golden brown on 325 degrees.
After, my first layer is finished I’m going to bake my second layer.
While I’m waiting on my second cake to finish, I’m going to add a few fresh strawberries to my frozen ones in a bowl. If your strawberries are a little tart, add about a tablespoon of sugar. Then, allow them to sit in their own juices for about 10 minutes or so.
Once, my second cake is done I’m going to begin to spread them with whipped cream. You can make your own whipped cream from scratch, but I’m going to use cool whip to save on time.
Next, cover the whipped cream with the frozen and fresh strawberries.
Now, I’m going to cover the strawberries with the second layer of cake.
Cover, the second layer with whipped cream and then decorate the cake however you desire.
Heart Shaped Valentine’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookies
The recipe, I used for the heart shaped chocolate chip and M&M cookies, can be found here. It’s the same recipe, I used for the Christmas chocolate chip cookies.
Once the cookie batter has chilled, for about 3 hours. I began to make my heart- shaped cookies with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
I will bake my cookies on 325 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.
Once my cookies are done I allowed them to cool, and then I plated them.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries for Valentine’s Day
First, you will want to wash your strawberries and lay them out to dry.
Then, you will want to trim the leaves off of your strawberries, after you’ve finished you can set them aside.
Now I’m going to pour about 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips into a bowl.
Pour 2 tablespoons of canola oil, vegetable oil, or coconut oil, whichever one you have on hand. The oil adds as a glossy sheen to your chocolate chips.
In order, to melt the chocolate for increments of 3o seconds, I had to do this three times. It really just depends on the type of microwave that you have.
Once your chocolate has completely melted, it’s time to dip your strawberries.
Continue, to dip your strawberries until each one is completed.
Now, I’m going to place my strawberries in the refrigerator. You’ll know they’re done once they’ve hardened. If you’re not going to eat them immediately cover them with cling wrap, and leave them in the refrigerator.
Sweet Treats for Valentine’s Day
Hope y’all enjoyed these delightful recipes!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
If you would like to see more great Southern Love recipes, be sure to click here.
Don’t forget to connect with us on:
Facebook @ southernlove
YouTube: @ https://bit.ly/2L4bkf2
How to Make a Pound Cake from Scratch
- Bundt cake pan
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of Shortening
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups of granulated sugar
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavor
- In a mixing bowl, you will add 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter and then add 1/2 cup of shortening be sure to mix them together.
- Once you've mixed the butter and shortening, you will begin to add in 3 cups of granulated sugar a little at a time while still mixing.
- As you're mixing you will begin to add your 5 eggs to mix 1 egg at a time and be sure to continue mixing after each egg is added. It's important to add your eggs this way so they can mix in evenly and it also allows for your batter to thicken naturally.
- Now in a separate bowl, you will begin to add 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, which are your dry ingredients.
- Stir these ingredients with a large spoon, and then add to your cake batter. Start adding some flour, a little at time, add your milk. Then begin to alternatively add your milk, flour, milk, and flour. Don’t forget to add your 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavor to your cake mixture.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and when your cake is well mixed, pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Your cake will cook for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until your toothpick comes out clean.
The Most Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Standing Mixer
- 9 x13 Pan
- 1 1/4 cup of All-purpose flour
- 1 stick of unsalted room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (1/4 light and 1/4 dark)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
How to Make this Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- You will need a mixer, and in this post I'm using a Kitchen Aid standing mixer. First, you add 1 stick of unsalted room temperature butter into the mixing bowl.
- Next, you will add 1/2 cup of brown sugar (1/4 light and 1/4 dark).
- Then, add 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar, 1 egg, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract into your mixing bowl.
- Once you've combined all ingredients you will mix them together on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes or until well combined.
- After these ingredients have combined, stop and scrape the sides of the mixer.
- Then, add in the 1/4 cup of vanilla pudding mix(do not make the pudding mix, treat is as a dry ingredient), 1 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- On low speed mix these ingredients for about 1 minute or until well combined.
- Next, we're going to add the 3/4 cup of M & M's in a cup.
- Lastly, we're going to add 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Once you've combined the M &M's and the semi-sweet chocolate chips, mix on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- When the dough is finished mixing be sure to scrape the dough off the paddle using a spatula.
Time to Chill the Dough
- You will want to chill your dough for 2-3 hours, in the refrigerator. You don't want to skip these step, because really helps keep your cookies; thick, soft, and chewy. No one wants a hard, flat, and thin cookie, so chill your dough!
- I simply wrapped my dough in plastic wrap and let it chill for 3 hours.
- After your dough has chilled, allow it to unthaw for a few minutes. While you're waiting line your large baking pan with parchment paper.
It's Baking Time
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, begin to roll the dough in your hands into equal sized balls. Place the balls onto the parchment paper, you should be able to make 12 cookies.
- Now use your fingers to slightly flatten your dough into mounds. Once you're finished you can place more red and green M & M's onto your cookie dough to make them more festive.
- Place your cookies into the oven for about 10-12 minutes. Be sure to watch your cookies you don't want them to overcook.
- Remove your cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a cooling rack.